Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Conference Weekend!


Was this conference not the most inspired conference ever? I have to agree with President Monson. I felt like everything was directed to me. I just felt like a common theme for me was the scriptures and change. I loved Elder Dubes and how he said that what you have felt to do is a lot more important than what we have done. Faith always points us forward. We are changing people and if we focus on the past we are effecting what we can do in this moment. I then loved Elder Bednar right after who talked about how too often we wait for things to change when in reality we need to change our circumstances. There was also a big focus on the atonement and how we can change and be perfected in the atonement. I know that is real. I have felt it out here. The best thing that I can do as a missionary is help people understand the atonement. We have to grab on to the mercy of the atonement. We have to reach for it and give all our effort to hold on to it and us it in our lives.

Here is a miracle that Hermana Driesel actually shared in zone conference this past week. I am a very small part of it so I just have to share it: When we had intercambios a few weeks ago Hermana Driesel and I were walking around an apartment complex contacting people. We saw that there was a car that said R.I.P. on it. I told her we had to leave a tarjeta on that car. Nothing came from it in that instance. But, apparently this past week, Hermana Driesel and Hermana Miller were there in that same complex, praying in their car. A woman came up to them and banged on the window asking if they are the girls who leave tarjetas. They happily said yes. She said that she had a bunch of new baby clothes and accessories and also a machine that helps circulate blood through the body. She asked if they knew anyone who would need it. Immediately their mind went to this family who is starting to go to church. They are from Hondurous and have nothing. The mother just had a stroke and is bed ridden and the daughter is pregnant with her 2nd child. This was something so small but something so great came from it. It is true that by small and simple things, great things are come to pass.

Also I have to give an update on Emilze. We have seen a complete 180 with her. She is completely changing her life. For the past couple of weeks we have been thinking that we need to share the story about the man in the bible who asks Christ what he needs to do to have eternal life. Jesus tells him to leave everything behind. The point is the man can’t do it. Here you see the man really struggle between his love between God and the world. That described Emilze. But this past week she has completely changed. She is reading every night, praying more sincerely, and committing to follow the commandments more exactly. She is ready to give it all to the Lord. She came to the Sunday morning session of general conference and they said everything that we have been wanting to share with Emilze. Talk about inspiration. We must love God with all our heart, mind, might, and strength. This is the key to happiness. If we do not love him with everything we have, we leave room for us to have other Gods before us. Our first priority is God. Always will be that way. Emilze is realizing that and changing things in her life to more fully adopt that because she realizes that in that is where happiness lies.

Quynh also said another profound statement to us this week. This little Vietnamese lady is changing my life. We were having a lesson, talking about the scripture in Ether 12:4. Afterwards she turned to us and asked how we were going to change the world. She quickly said maybe you can write a book before we had time to respond. We just smiled and replied saying we don’t need to write a book because we already have one! The Book of Mormon. That is how we intend to change the world. Bringing the Book of Mormon to everyone. Little does she know how much she is growing my testimony. It is also funny because we are teaching another lady from Africa who speaks French. My mission is quickly turning into a 4-language mission.

Transfers are this week and I am staying here with Hermana Deloya!

Love you all!!

Keep smiling,

Hermana Parry

PS. Conference in Spanish so I don’t know if you want my notes because they are Spanglish.

No comments:

Post a Comment