Monday, April 8, 2013

"As a Disciple of Christ, I had no other Choice"


Hola familia!

First off, wasn’t conference the absolute best this weekend. It went by way too fast! I think Saturday was especially for me. So much good stuff I needed to hear and relearn. I am so grateful for a living profeta who guides during this difficult times. The subject of this email is from Elder Dallin H. Oaks talk. For some reason it really stood out to me and it really reinstituted my commitment to the Lord. So awesome. And wow, I'd have to say that this is the best time to be a missionary. Everytime anything was said about the missionary effort and the Lord's work being hastened, I got butterflies in my stomach and just could not wipe the smile off of my face. Like Elder Russell M. Nelson said, everyone needs to catch the wave. So everyone get busy and let your light so shine!

I learned something really cool a few days before conference. I learned that the speakers are not assigned topics but rather pray and are inspired about what to talk about. It was so comforting to see how the topics all supported and flowed together in different sessions. It just proves to me that the spirit truly does guide and inspire us and as long as we have it, we cannot go astray. Which is so important in missionary work with a companionship! We have to work so hard to always strive to have it so that we can teach by the spirit and be sustained by him in our words.

So something that I have been really trying to work hard on is recognizing the gifts that I have been given and using them to be the missionary that God intends for me to be. We all have individual gifts and there is a reason that we have been given those ones. I know that the people here in Gulfbank need it. It is the best feeling when you find someone that you know has been prepared to meet you. I can honestly say that the Lord is not just calling more missionaries but he is preparing more people too. It is so awesome to see this all come together! The 13 year old boy that is getting baptized this weekend is so excited and I know that God has really been preparing him for this day and for us to teach him.

I had my first intercambios this week! I went to a place called Conroe! It was really really awesome. I went with Hermana Busenbark. From the moment I met her, she kept telling me how inspired this intercambio was. I have to say that I definitely agree. I definitely needed to learn quite a few things from her to help out Gulfbank and I needed to meet people there too. I actually met a recent returned missionary who’s first companion was Anne Capners older sister. Small-world right? But Conroe was filled with awesome people. It is a lot more country- which was quite cute! I even had the awesome opportunity to invite someone to be baptized there! The Lord knows where we need to be and when we need to be there. This actually reminds about a part of conference that I really liked during the Saturday afternoon session! It was during Elder Stanley Ellis's talk. He said that we need to govern ourselves according to the principles that we learn. God cannot tell us what to do in every situation but he can sustain our actions when we know gospel principles and act in accordance with them. It puts things more on us. It reminds of something Elder Bednar was saying about how we should not be so preoccupied with if our feelings are actually from the holy ghost or not, as long as you are doing good, then you are good. So my advice, stay busy, do good, and be happy.

Once again, thanks so much for letting me come to Houston. I know that there is so much work that needs to be done here and I am more than ready to do it! I love being a missionary. Good luck trying to get me to come home! I don’t think I have enjoyed learning and hardships more than I do now in Houston.

Love you all so much and my prayers are with you! I know that everything is going to turn out ok because I know that God is in the details of our lives. Continue pressing forward and you will be taken care of.

Paz y bendiciones,

Hermana Parry

P.s. The Spanish is a lot better this week. Little by little miracles are happening!

Gulf Bank Area
A home in Gulfbank - they came across it while tracting
Studying and Learning
Hermana Parry is not unhappy with the food

Intercambios (Hermana Parry's first exchange program)







No comments:

Post a Comment